Monday, September 11, 2017

Roswell, New Mexico…a sad sight

123 W. 3rd St.

Opened 1906

$10,000 grant in 1903

Visit August 29, 2017

DSCN0124

It was so sad to see this neglected library. It looks so gray and decrepit and has a huge For Sale sign draped across the front. An old pic Roswell Carnegie Library

I could only find one photo on-line of what I believe is the original look and it no longer resembles that look. There are still three windows on each side of the front entrance but the stairs have been changed and they are tiled.  It also has a huge crack on the front side. On one side it appears that three upper level windows have been stuccoed over.

DSCN0126

The library was renovated and enlarged in 1952 but replaced in 1978 with a new library. It was changed to office space in 1992. I looked in the glass door and could see that it is configured as that now.

I took my photos and departed very sad for Roswell Carnegie Library!

No comments:

Post a Comment